As I posted earlier, we have been on a bit of an asparagus kick at my house lately. We love it! But as much as I love it, it gets boring eating it in the same way every day. So we decided to mix it up. I wasn’t feeling a casserole or bake, didn’t want stir-fry and soup was out, but pizza was kind of sounding good. Yet, I didn’t just want pizza, I wanted something a little more fun than pizza….something like…Stromboli!
Have you ever had Stromboli? It’s kind of like a calzone, or pizza all wrapped up into a fun braided dough. When I was in about middle school my mom made a Stromboli for us for the first time and after that we were hooked! The recipe I am making tonight is nothing like my mom’s more traditional Stromboli, though – this is Cheesy Chicken and Asparagus Stromboli! Get ready people, you are about to be amazed.
To let this Stromboli know who’s boss (and a dietitian), I swapped a few ingredients to make this a healthier version of the traditional pepperoni and red sauce version. I added more veggies (roasted veggies to be exact!) and for the sauce I used Greek yogurt (instead of mayo or cream of whatever).Cheesy Chicken and Asparagus Stromboli Click To Tweet
For the dough, I cheated and used a pizza and scone dough made daily by my local grocery store, but you could give THIS no-fail pizza dough recipe from Lauren’s Latest a try.
It’s important to note that this recipe makes 2 full Stromboli’s (each Stromboli has 4-5 servings). Since my family will not eat that much for one meal, I only bake 1 Stromboli and freeze the other half of the filling for a quick and easy meal another night! I LOVE being able to simply pull it out of the freezer in the morning, thaw it in the fridge and quickly throw it all together in the evening for a delicious meal!
- 1 lb pizza dough
- 2 cups cooked chicken breast, cubed
- 1 cup fresh asparagus, chopped into bite-size pieces
- ½ cup bell pepper, chopped
- ½ cup red onion, chopped
- 1-2 tbsp. olive oil
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup shredded fresh parmesan cheese (mozzarella would be good, too)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Chop asparagus, onion, and bell pepper. Place on baking sheet and drizzle with 1-2 tbsp. olive oil. Sprinkle salt and pepper on top. Lightly toss to evenly distribute oil and seasonings. Bake for 15 minutes in preheated oven.
- Meanwhile, cook chicken on stovetop and cube into ½-inch pieces.
- When the veggies are done roasting, take out and reduce oven heat to 350 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine roasted veggies, cooked chicken, cheese, Greek yogurt, & minced garlic. Mix well.
- Press half of your dough out flat on a greased baking sheet.
- Using a sharp knife, cut horizontal strips (about 2 ½ inches long) down each side of the dough.
- Spoon half of your filling lengthwise down the center third of dough.
- To braid, take one strip and fold over the filling to the other side, slightly pressing to seal it. Repeat with all the dough strips, alternating one on each side as you go.
- Repeat with the remaining half of the ingredients to make a second Stromboli.
- Bake each Stromboli for 25 minutes or until top is golden brown.
Let’s chat: What recipe would YOU love to see asparagus in?