In a follow-up to my recipe post last week for Chicken and Couscous Zucchini Boats, I am still having to find ways to use all the squash coming from my garden.
This is actually a recipe my mom originally created, so a big shout out to my mom for this one! These Chicken and Squash Fajitas will have the entire family coming back for seconds!
The best thing about this heart-healthy meal, aside from the flavor and that is cooked and ready to be eaten in under 30 minutes, is all of the nutrition it boasts! The produce in this recipe are all packed with vitamins and minerals, such as vitamins A and C, potassium and manganese. The chicken is a lean protein cooked using a healthy cooking method (sautéing) and it is all wrapped up in a 100% whole wheat tortilla! You can’t get much healthier than this, people!
Enough with the nutrition, let’s get down to how to make this! Start out by washing all of the produce (zucchini, squash, carrots) and peel the carrots. Using a grater, shred the produce into a medium-size bowl, set aside. Dice the chicken breasts into 1/2 inch pieces.
In a large skillet, add the chicken and olive oil; cook until no longer pink and juices run clear, about 8-10 minutes. Drain any juice or liquid.
Add the shredded veggies to the skillet. Cook until the squash and carrots are soft and tender. For me, this is usually about 5 minutes because they are grated so thin and small that they cook up in no time. No need to add any extra seasonings because the squash, carrots and chicken blend together so well to create a truly flavorful dish!
Place fajita mixture into tortillas. Dress with toppings of your choice, such as sour cream (we often sub in non-fat plain Greek yogurt), salsa, cheese or green onions, then fold tortilla into a wrap. Enjoy!Ready in under 30 minutes: Heart-Healthy Chicken & Squash Fajitas Click To Tweet
One thing that I think is important to note is that due to the water content in the squash, the end fajita mixture will have some juice collected in the bottom of the skillet. You may wish to drain some of this to prevent your tortillas from getting too soggy. Even with the juices running out of your tortilla, these fajitas are still DELICIOUS! Go make some tonight and thank my mom for it! 😉
- 1 medium zucchini, shredded
- 1 medium yellow squash, shredded
- 3 medium carrots, shredded (or 2 large ones)
- 1 lb chicken breasts
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 6 whole wheat tortillas
- Low-fat or fat-free sour cream (or try plain non-fat Greek yogurt!)
- salsa or pico de gallo
- tomato, diced
- green onion, diced
- shredded cheese
- romaine lettuce, shredded
- Wash all produce (zucchini, squash, carrots) and peel carrots. Using a grater, shred the produce into a medium-size bowl, set aside. Dice the chicken breasts into ½ inch pieces.
- In a large skillet, add the chicken and oil; cook until no longer pink and juices run clear, about 8-10 minutes. Drain any juice or liquid.
- Add shredded veggies to chicken in skillet. Cook until squash and carrots are soft and tender, about 5 minutes.
- Place fajita mixture into tortillas. Dress with desired toppings then fold tortilla into a wrap. Enjoy!