This Chocolate Strawberry German Pancakes skillet recipe is the perfect sweet treat for that special someone in your life!
As I continue on my theme for this month of breakfast recipes, I decided I needed to create a special recipe for Valentine’s Day. This recipe combines two of my favorite things: chocolate & strawberries. Who doesn’t like that combo? In my house, chocolate (preferably dark) is a must on Valentine’s Day (Can you believe my husband actually asked me if I even wanted chocolate for Valentine’s Day?!).
If you’ve ever had traditional German pancakes, this recipe is like the brownie version of them. SO good. The strawberries complement the chocolate pancakes in this dish by adding some texture as well as some extra sweetness. It was hard for me to not eat the whole pan!
This recipe is not overly sweet and is a little bit more on the semi-sweet chocolate side. If you are more of a milk chocolate lover, don’t add quite as much cocoa or add 1 Tablespoon more sugar in the batter for extra sweetness. If you are a dark chocolate lover like me, keep it like it is.
If you want to impress that special someone in your life, make this for them for breakfast in bed. They will love you. I promise.The perfect brunch recipe: Chocolate Strawberry German Pancakes Click To Tweet
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- ⅔ cup whole wheat flour
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk of choice
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup sliced strawberries
- 1 Tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- Powdered sugar
- Whipped cream
- Extra strawberries, sliced
- Strawberry syrup
- Chocolate syrup
- Place the butter in a 10-inch cast iron skillet and put in the oven to allow the butter to melt. Turn on the oven to 400 degrees F. (Keep an eye on it so it doesn't burn).
- Meanwhile in a blender, place the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, salt, milk and vanilla. Blend for 30 seconds or until the batter is smooth and there are no lumps.
- Add the eggs and blend another 30 seconds. Set aside. (If you do not have a blender, simply whisk the ingredients together in a bowl).
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine the sliced strawberries, butter and honey. Cook, stirring frequently, until the sugar is fully dissolved and the mixture starts to form a syrup, about 10 minutes.
- Remove the skillet from the oven with oven mitts. Tilt the skillet so the butter coats the entire bottom and sides of the pan. Carefully pour the batter into the skillet. Next, spread the strawberry mixture evenly over the batter.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the eggs are fully cooked and the center is set.
- Serve warm with desired toppings.