Use your garden zucchini crop in this healthy Chicken Zucchini Soup. Perfect for a fall day, this soup will bring warmth, comfort and a satisfied belly! Low calorie and low carbohydrate, high in nutrition!
We always get a TON of zucchini from our garden each year. And each year I am trying to come up with different or new ways to use all of that zucchini. I love to make zucchini bread, but one can only eat so much of it before you feel the need to expand your palate outside of quick breads.
Then, my mom texted me this idea of zucchini soup. I have never had zucchini soup before, but I was intrigued! I knew we still had a bunch of zucchini in the garden waiting to be picked and eaten, so I figured why not!
Now I know what you’re thinking. Because I thought it when I finished cooking. It doesn’t look very appetizing with that green color! Even though the color might turn some off, it actually tastes really good! My husband was a bit afraid to try it on looks alone, even though the house smelled amazing. But once he tasted it he absolutely loved the flavor. There is a subtle-ness to the flavor that is not overpowering in any way. It hits just the right spot.Warm and satisfying: Chicken Zucchini Soup Click To Tweet
Plus, besides the flavor, this soup is super healthy for you! Zucchini is low in calories and high in many nutrients, including vitamins C and B6, manganese, riboflavin, potassium and folate. Zucchini is a good source of antioxidants and has anti-inflammatory benefits, meaning it can help improve heart health!
Per cup, this recipe has only 146 calories, 4 grams of fat and 8 grams total carbohydrates! Adding some cheese and crackers will up that a bit, but still leaves you feeling satisfied and good about what you just ate.
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 large onion, diced
- 12 cups chopped zucchini (any seeds removed)
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 2 (14.5 oz) cans reduced sodium chicken broth
- Dice the chicken into ½-1 inch bite size pieces. In a large stock pot over medium heat, pour 1 Tablespoon of the olive oil. Add the chicken and cook until thoroughly cooked and no longer pink, about 7-10 minutes. Take out of the pot and set aside.
- Add the remaining 1 Tablespoon olive oil to the stock pot, keeping it at medium heat. Add the diced onion and cook 5-6 minutes or until the onion is starting to get soft.
- Add in the chopped zucchini, basil, garlic salt and chicken broth. Bring to a boil and cook about 15 minutes, stirring often, or until the zucchini are soft and tender.
- Remove approximately 2 cups of the soup from the pot and set aside (if you want some chunks/texture in your soup. If not, then leave it in). Using an immersion (stick) blender, puree the zucchini in the pot until it reaches a smooth consistency. Add back the remaining zucchini and the chicken to the pot, stir and cook until heated through.
- Serve hot with mozzarella cheese and crackers.
Check out these other zucchini recipes below!